Monday, October 18, 2010

enter the civilized kitchen...

My first double yolker came this weekend with a crack against an 8inch cast iron pan. A double yolked egg appears when one yolk somehow gets “lost” and is joined by the next yolk. I added two more eggs to the pan and turned my attention back to the biscuits I preparing for lunch and back to the pages of my copy of Artisan Bread Everyday by Peter Reinhardt.


The last time I made biscuits I was a little less prepared. I used a recipe from the 1970’s Tassajara Bread Book , a remnant of the heath craze of the area it is full of recipes for whole grain yeasted breads that tend to be heavy, very heavy. It was no surprise to me when my biscuits turned out more like cow-pies then the buttery biscuits I had envisioned.


Even with Peter’s guidance my biscuits weren’t perfect, but they were a vast improvement. Feeling satisfied and full of buttery goodness I retired myself to the hammock and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment